It’s pumpkin season! I.love.pumpkin. Love. I want it in my lattes, soups, curries, stews, sauces, breads, cookies, cakes, pies, and more. I’m a big proponent of roasting and pureeing fresh pumpkin, but on any given weekday, I probably don’t have time to roast and puree fresh pumpkin unless I already have some saved up in my freezer. This means that once September 1, comes around, I keep canned pumpkin puree in my pantry until the snow melts outside (okay, regardless of the snow situation, let’s call it end of January). My stock of pumpkin puree lets me sneak pumpkin into my cooking whenever my heart pleases.
This creamy pumpkin sausage pasta is a perfect weekday supper. This recipe is hearty, quick, and easy. I’d guess that you have most of the ingredients on hand and even if not, it’s easy to make substitutions or omissions. To top it off, the leftovers of this dish make a wonderful lunch the next day (meal planners rejoice!). I made this in 33 minutes, from the time I took the sausage out of my fridge to the time I plated the pasta for, well, for photos, but you’ll be plating for dinner in about half an hour!
Set the mood for Fall! Pumpkinize it!
- ½ pound farfalle or penne pasta (I used 100% whole wheat pasta because I like the nuttiness and health benefits)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound fresh sausage, preferably chorizo or hot Italian sausage without casings
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1-1 ½ cup frozen peas (optional)
- 5-6 leaves fresh sage, chiffonade (i.e. roll up the leaves and slice into long ribbons)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 15 oz. can 100% pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ cup milk (I used skimmed cow’s milk)
- 3-4 tablespoons of cream cheese or Neufchâtel
- Fresh shavings of Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, as the pasta cooks, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage and onions and sauté together for 4-5 minutes, then add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté for another 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sausage should be cooked all the way through and browned.
- Next, add the peas, sage, and red pepper flakes and mix together.
- Add the pumpkin puree and stock and stir together until everything is combined and bring everything to a low boil.
- Turn the heat to medium low and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and cream cheese. Then, temper the milk mixture by adding a ¼ cup of the soup to the milk mixture.
- After you temper the milk and cream cheese mixture, add it to the pot in a steady stream.
- Add the drained and cooked pasta to the pumpkin cream sauce and mix everything together.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with fresh parmesan cheese shavings.
Looking for more great ideas for Fall weekday suppers? Check out these other great recipes for this week!
Monday – Shrimp Curry (In A Hurry) by Chocolate Moosey
Tuessday – Chicken Quinoa Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Wednesday – Creamy Pumpkin Sausage Pasta by eating in instead (You’re lookin’ at it!)
Thursday – Chicken, Broccoli and Bell Pepper Stir Fry by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Friday – Veggie Kebabs with Spicy Harissa Dip by Happy Baking Days