This week’s Sunday Supper features a wealth of recipes for your Easter or Passover Leftovers. A big shout-out to Liz, of That Skinny Chick Can Bake for hosting! On that note, if you happen to find yourself with an excess of hard-boiled eggs today, the rest of this week, or ever, I’ve got just the recipe for you! If you are a regular at eating in instead, you know that I am not a fan of mayo. Like never. Not even aioli. I make my potato salads without mayo. I make my tuna salads without mayo. And, you guessed it, now I make my egg salads without mayo too!
So how do I get the creaminess into my egg salad? Well, with avocados and plain yogurt! For some time now, I’ve been adding a dollop of plain yogurt to my avocado smash to give it just a little tang. And lately, my go-to lunch is an avocado smash with a dash of cumin, spread on some crusty bread with a few slices of hard-boiled egg on top. Then, as I was munching on this lunch last week, and brainstorming ideas for this week’s Sunday Supper theme – Easter and Passover Leftovers – I realized that I had a great start to a recipe sitting there on my plate!
Naturally, I decided to use my husbandy as a my taste tester for this CalMex Avocado and Egg Salad. (He’s actually always my taste tester, whether he knows it or not.) I made a few tweaks to get the flavors to meld together, but the cumin and chili powder in this really brings out the “Cal-Mex” flavors. I think this is about to become my new favorite lunch. And for those of you with a glut of hard-boiled eggs, I hope it becomes yours too! I’ve been loving this with some crusty bread, but I bet it would also be great as a wrap or even as a dip with a few tortilla chips!
- 1 dozen hard-boiled eggs
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ small red onion, minced
- 1 small hot pepper
- ½ cup plain yogurt, preferably Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs, give them a rough chop and place into a large bowl.
- Halve the avocados, remove the pits, scoop out the flesh, and add it to the eggs.
- Add the remaining ingredients and spices into the bowl, and combine with a large fork; slightly mashing the avocado while mixing in the other ingredients.
- Serve immediately. So easy. So yum!
Got more Easter or Passover leftovers that need re-purposing? Check out the rest of these great ideas from the Sunday Supper Family!
- Bacon and Sriracha Deviled Eggs by Casa de Crews
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Deviled Eggs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Cilantro Deviled Eggs by Our Good Life
- Rissole by Brunch with Joy
- Savory Basque Tart by Food Lust People Love
Breakfast and Brunch
- Breakfast Burritos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Enchiladas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten-Free Ham Spinach & Gruyère Quiche by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Ham and Egg Hash by Whole Food | Real Families
- Matzo Brei Pancakes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Savory Ham and Scallion Corn Cakes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Black Pepper Fried Brown Rice with Ham by Food Done Light
- Cajun Hambalaya by Palatable Pastime
- Cal-Mex Avocado and Egg Salad by eating in instead
- Chunky Healthy Egg Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Ham Fried Rice by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by Wallflower Girl
- Pan-Fried Ham with Okra and Red-Eye Gravy by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salmon, Asparagus and Capers Panini by Family Foodie
Soups and Salads
- Ham and Corn Chowder by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Southern Ham Macaroni Salad by Magnolia Days
- Split Pea and Ham Slowcooker Soup by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Apple Blueberry Flip Flop by Recipe for Perfection
- Brownies with Kentucky Bourbon and Chocolate Mint Ganache by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Cadbury Egg Stuffed Croissants by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheese and Pineapple Bread Pudding by Basic N Delicious
- Easter Candy Bark by Pies and Plots
- Easter Candy Brownie Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Brownie No Bake Cheesecake by Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Matzo S’mores by Desserts Required
- Sunshine Cake by The Ninja Baker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.