Fall is here! Apples! Pumpkin! Cinnamon! It’s time for all of the warmth and coziness that Fall brings and I am ready. I’m downright *giddy* for all of it. Scarves, boots, cider, stews, hot chocolate, Bring.It.On.
Last week, I had a perfect Fall day with my best friend Julie at Larriland Farm in Woodbine, Maryland. We picked apples, spinach, broccoli, beets, tomatoes, and flowers! We even picked up some fresh herbs, including lemon verbena. It was pure heaven. Fresh air, fresh produce, beautiful weather, beautiful friend, what more can a girl ask for? Meh, ok there was this one thing that was missing. Pumpkins! We didn’t get to pick pumpkins last week because we were just a tad on the early side for Fall and the pumpkin patch wasn’t open yet. Tear.
Pumpkin picking or not, I’ve jumped head first into pumpkin-everything-cooking-baking mode. Naturally, when I learned that the Sunday Supper family was hosting a Fall flavors event — I was on it. The problem is, there are so many Fall flavors I love that deciding on just one recipe was not easy. Ultimately, I decided on this Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup because it was the perfect excuse to use the lemon verbena too.
This recipe is easy, peasy, and offers a surprising take on a Fall staple. The warm spices of the curry, the creamy coconut milk, the sweet fennel, and the pumpkin come together to give a cozy and flavorful boost to traditional pumpkin soup. I’m adding this one to my Fall recipe rotation, and in fact, I think it’s worthy of fall dinner parties too!
What is your special ingredient for pumpkin soup?
- 1 15 oz. can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 cups pure pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup rice wine or dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs fresh lemon verbena or lemon basil
- red chili flakes (optional)
- juice from ½ a lime
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut milk, curry paste, and pumpkin puree, then set aside.
- In a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, heat oils over medium heat.
- Add the fennel and sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the ginger and garlic, sauté for another minute.
- Add the wine and deglaze the bottom of the pot.
- After the wine reduces to about half, stir in the pumpkin and coconut milk mixture, chicken stock, and fresh herbs.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes and serve in individual bowls with a sprinkle of chili flakes and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Are you ready for fall? Sunday Supper’s got you covered with a wealth of Fall flavors. Check out A Guide to Apples plus Best Fall Recipes Ideas for #SundaySupper and this week’s recipe collection:
- Apple-Currant Dutch Baby Pancake by The Weekend Gourmet
- Apple Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread by Party Food and Entertaining
- Giant Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Appetizers and Sides
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins by Pancake Warriors
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Love and Confections
- Roasted Veggie Tart by Books n’ Cooks
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Roasted Veggies & Couscous by Momma’s Meals
- Butternut Squash Lentil Curry Soup by Food Done Light
- Curry Beef Pies by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Fantasy Rice by The Petit Gourmet
- King Prawns in Red Sauce – Mauritian Style Creole Sauce by Peachy Tales
- Pasta with Creamy Butternut & Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Pork Chops with Apple Dijon Sauce and Arugula Salad by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pork Chops with Glazed Apples and Vegetables by The Complete Savorist
- Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash by Feeding Big and More
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Bacon/Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Gouda Life
- Salt Roasted Salmon over Roasted Butternut & Yam Soup by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Delicata Squash and Olives by Foodie Tots
- Sweet Potato French Bean Lentil Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet Potato Alfredo Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup by Eating in Instead
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Vegetables by Life Tastes Good
Desserts and Cocktails
- Apfelkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Applesauce Cake with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Swirls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Gingersnap Refrigerator Dessert by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Autumn Bellini by An Appealing Plan
- Autumn Spice Cookies by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Napoleons by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caramel Apple Pie Bundles by The Freshman Cook
- Caramel Apple Streusel Muffins by The Redhead Baker
- Caramel Apple Swirl Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chestnut and Pear Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Dark Chocolate-Espresso Pumpkin Tiramisu by Brunch with Joy
- Dutch Apple Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Butterscotch Drizzle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pumpkin Crisp by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Bundt Cake by Flour On My Face
- Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Pears by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Spiced Pear Cake by Simply Healthy Family
- Spiced Pumpkin Bread by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sweet Apple Skillet Cake by Nosh My Way
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.